Katherine Hein, MD, PC
Dr. Katherine Hein is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. She has specialized in breast and cosmetic surgery since 1999 and has performed thousands of cosmetic and reconstructive surgeries.
Dr. Hein has been practicing as a reconstructive and plastic surgeon in the Framingham/Natick and Newton/Wellesley area for over 20 years. Dr. Hein is a native of Michigan, where she attended college and medical school at the University of Michigan. She trained in General Surgery at Harvard’s New England Deaconess Hospital. After 2 years of scientific research studying the effects of Type II diabetes on the aorta, she returned to the Harvard University Plastic Surgery residency program for two years. She then completed another year of fellowship training focused on aesthetic (cosmetic) surgery, also at Harvard University.
- M.D., University of Michigan Medical School, 1991
- B.A., with Distinction, University of Michigan, 1987
- M.B.A., Yale University, 2012
Post Doctoral Training
- Plastic Surgery Resident, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/Harvard University,
- Aesthetic Surgery Fellow, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/Harvard University,
- General Surgery Resident, New England Deaconess Hospital/Harvard University,
- Vascular Surgery Research Fellow, Joslin Diabetes Center/
Harvard Medical School, 1994–1996
Licensure and Board Certification
- Board Certified, American Board of Plastic Surgery, 2000; Re-certified, 2010, 2020.
- Licensed in Massachusetts since 1994
- Newton-Wellesley Hospital
- MetroWest Medical Center
- Milford-Whitinsville Regional Hospital
Academic and Committee Appointments, Professional Memberships
- Assistant Clinical Professor, Tufts University School of Medicine
- Quality Champion, Division of Plastic Surgery, Newton-Wellesley Hospital
- Vice Chair for Quality, Department of Surgery, MetroWest Medical Center, 2014-2017
- Vice Chair, Board of Trustees, MetroWest Medical Center
- Chair, Surgical Quality Assurance Committee, MetroWest Medical Center, 2001-2017
- Chair, Committee on Cancer, MetroWest Medical Center, 2017-2021
- Operating Room Committee, MetroWest Medical Center, 2011-2017
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons
- Certified Physician Executive, American Association for Physician Leadership
- Member, American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Member, Boston Surgical Society
- Member, Massachusetts Medical Society
- Class Advisor, Executive MBA Class of 2012, Yale University School of Management
Awards & Honors
- Joseph P. Murray Award, Best Resident Paper, New England Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons, 1998
- Harvard-Longwood Area Vascular Research Fellowship, 1994-1996
- Class Honors, Class of 1987, University of Michigan
- Regents of the University of Michigan Scholar
- National Merit Scholar
- Hein, K.D., Wechsler, M.E., Schwartzstein, R.M., Morris, D.J. The adult respiratory distress syndrome after dextran infusion as an antithrombotic agent in free TRAM flap breast reconstruction. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. 103(6):1706–8, May, 1999.
- Hein, K.D., Morris, D.J., Goldwyn, R.M., Kolker, A. Dermal autografts for fascial repair after TRAM flap harvest. Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery 102(7): 2287–92, December, 1998.
- Kolker, A.R., Wolfort, F.G., Upton, J., Tahan, S.R., Hein, K.D., Zewert, T.F. Plantar verrucous carcinoma following transmetatarsal amputation and renal transplantation. Annals of Plastic Surgery. 40(5):404–9, May, 1998.
- Hein, K.D. Use of fibrin sealant to prevent seromas in rats (letter). Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery. 101(6):1744–5, May, 1998.
- Hein, K.D., Goldwyn, R.M., Morris, D.J., Kolker, A.R. Repair of abdominal fascial defects with dermal autografts. Plastic Surgical Forum, 1997, Volume XX, p.166.
- Slavin, S.A., Hein, K.D. The Midabdominal TRAM Flap. In: Surgery of the Breast: Principles and Art, (Spear, S., editor). Lippincott-Raven, Philadelphia, PA, 1998, pp.565–576.
- Hein, K.D., King, G.L. Abnormalities in the Endothelium in Diabetes Mellitus. In: Endocrinology of the Vasculature (Sowers, J.R., editor). Humana Press Inc., Jun 24, 1966.
Discover how Dr. Hein can help you achieve your
desired goals by scheduling a private consultation
or call us at