Male Breast Reduction Surgery in Boston
At Accurate Aesthetics, we work with men that are bothered by enlarged, woman-like breasts. This is characteristic of a condition known as gynecomastia, which causes the over development of breast tissue. Men with gynecomastia can feel physically uncomfortable, self-conscious or ashamed of their large breasts. Our plastic surgeon, Dr. Katherine Hein, is the gynecomastia surgeon Boston men trust for compassionate and quality care.
Gynecomastia is due to a hormonal imbalance. A decrease in testosterone and an increase in estrogen cause the breast gland tissue to swell.
There are a few things that can throw off the hormonal balance, including puberty, certain health conditions (e.g., liver and kidney disease, tumors), medications (e.g., anabolic steroids, anti-androgens), street drugs and alcohol. The breasts can also enlarge because of an excess amount of fat.
In addition to developing enlarged breasts, men with gynecomastia may experience breast tenderness, pain and nipple discharge.
Male Breast Reduction Candidates
Although gynecomastia is rarely caused by serious medical problems, all candidates for male breast reduction are first screened to rule this out.
Ideal candidates for surgery are men that:
- are in good general health
- maintain a stable weight but cannot reduce breast size with diet or exercise
- have good skin elasticity
- do not smoke, drink excessively or use drugs
- have a positive attitude
- expect improvement, not perfection
The Male Breast Reduction Procedure
Gynecomastia surgery is usually performed on an outpatient basis. Anesthesia medications are administered to keep the patient comfortable.
There are a few different approaches to remove excess breast tissue. Liposuction removes excess breast fat, but it does not treat excess glandular tissue, which is denser. For many men, liposuction is all they need to correct their gynecomastia. Glandular tissue must be excised through small incisions made in the breast crease or around the edge of the areola. Dr. Hein will select the most appropriate technique and incision pattern based on the individual patient’s specific condition, needs and goals.
Recovering from Male Breast Reduction
Recovery from male breast reduction depends largely on the severity of the condition and the specific course of treatment. In general, the recovery period is relatively short and well-tolerated. Most patients return to work about a week or less after surgery. A compression garment should be worn during the initial recovery period to help the tissues heal and minimize post-operative side effects like swelling. Some swelling, as well as bruising and redness, are common and to be expected.
Dr. Hein provides every patient with a detailed list of aftercare instructions, including medications to take, how to care for the incisions and potential signs of complications. She also schedules follow-up appointments to check the patient’s healing progress.
The Cost of Male Breast Reduction
The cost of male breast reduction varies by patient, depending on their specific needs, surgical goals and plan of treatment. At Accurate Aesthetics, we include the fees for the surgeon, facility, anesthesiologist and surgical garment in the final cost.
Achieve a More Masculine-Looking Chest
If gynecomastia has left you feeling self-conscious, embarrassed or uncomfortable, you do not need to suffer any longer. Male breast reduction with Dr. Hein can restore a normal contour to your chest and boost your confidence.
Please call 781-263-0011 today to schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Hein and review your treatment options.
Why You Should Select Accurate Aesthetics for your Male Breast Reduction Surgical Procedure
Dr. Katherine Hein is among the top cosmetic surgeons in the Boston, Wellesley and Sudbury area. As a Harvard trained board-certified plastic surgeon and Medical Director of Accurate Aesthetics Plastic Surgery, Dr. Hein has helped thousands of satisfied patients achieve their cosmetic surgical face and body enhancements goals.
When you select Accurate Aesthetics Plastic Surgery for your male breast reduction procedure you can be reassured of a close personal relationship with Dr. Hein and her professional staff.
- Additional Reasons to Select Accurate Aesthetics
- One-on-one consultation with Dr. Hein, follow-up appointments after surgery, and availability by telephone for your questions.
- Availability of a fully certified operating room in-office for your comfort and privacy.
- The exclusive use of a certified Physician Assistant (PA-C) on each case to keep your surgery time shorter and safer.
- The use of a board-certified MD anesthesiologist or a certified nurse anesthetist(CRNA) on each sedation case where sedation or general anesthesia is used.
- Consultation fee is deducted from cost of any major surgery.
- One surgical compression garment is provided free for each surgery, as needed.
- Free Arnica Montana (pharmaceutical grade) anti bruising and swelling regimen with appropriate surgical procedures.
- Free general skincare session with a medical esthetician after any major surgical procedure.
Discover how Dr. Hein can help you achieve your
desired goals by scheduling a private consultation
or call us at