Occasionally, it’s interesting to consider plastic surgery in a global context. Every country has its own standard of beauty and idea of what is desirable. Also, innovators around the world are constantly working to improve the techniques and technology plastic surgeons use.
The International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS), an organization comprised of more than 2,700 board-certified aesthetic plastic surgeons in 95 countries, recently released its 2014 report on the state of plastic surgery in the world. The report was based on data from 1,391 plastic surgeons and revealed that more than 20 million surgical and nonsurgical procedures were performed around the world in 2014.
Here Dr. William LoVerme of Accurate Aesthetics shares a few of the findings.
What Procedures Are Most Popular Around the World?
Globally, Botox is the most popular cosmetic procedure for men and women. More than 4.8 million botulinum toxin injectable procedures (including Botox, Dysport and Xeomin products) were performed last year. Breast augmentation is the most commonly performed surgical procedure for women. For men, eyelid surgery is most prevalent.
What Country Has the Busiest Plastic Surgery Scene?
Twenty percent of all cosmetic procedures were performed in the United States, making it the country with the busiest plastic surgery scene. Brazil was the country with the second-highest number of procedures performed. Japan, South Korea and Mexico rounded out the top five.
More Men Having Surgery
Men accounted for 13.7 percent of plastic surgery patients worldwide. They had more than 2.5 million procedures performed. In addition to eyelid surgery, men also opted for rhinoplasty, liposuction, gynecomastia treatment and fat grafting.
Women Had 17 Million Cosmetic Procedures
In addition to breast augmentation, the most popular procedures among women were liposuction, eyelid surgery, fat grafting and tummy tuck.
Other Surprising Discoveries, According to the ISAPS
- Turkey is experiencing a boom in medical tourism for hair transplantation. Fifteen thousand people have traveled to Turkey to have hair transplants. This includes facial hair transplants, which are very popular among Arab patients.
- A growing number of patients in the United Arab Emirates are requesting facelift and rhinoplasty to resemble pop stars.
- The doctor credited with the buttock implant is from Mexico.
- Latin America boasts five out of the top 10 countries for cosmetic surgery.
- Brazilians can write off the cost of breast augmentation or rhinoplasty on their income taxes.
Looking for world-class surgical care closer to home? Schedule a consultation with Dr. LoVerme of Accurate Aesthetics to discuss your cosmetic treatment options. Contact us today at (877) 603-7874 to make an appointment.